President's newsletter May 2015
In honour of the 60th anniversary of the founding of the NSW State Emergency Service, might I invite you ladies and gentlemen to continue to grow old together, even if at times, somewhat gracelessly.
For at least the next 60 years let's also continue to grow younger. Let's use the maturity and experience of our organisation to encourage the leaders of tomorrow, to have confidence in the latest technologies and to embrace change.
Let's also remain sticks-in-the-mud on one thing, the value of the volunteer.
As President of the NSW SES VA and an SES volunteer for many years, to me at least, it all comes down to two words: thank you.
Charlie Moir ESM
President NSW SES VA
To celebrate the 60th anniversary of the SES, a very special edition of The Volunteer is now available from most units, region headquarters and online.
This diamond jubilee issue features 60 pages including historic photos and the story of how it all began in the shadow of cold war fears and devastating floods.
Applications for the 2015 round of VA scholarships and unit grants open soon.
The next issue of The Volunteer as well as the members section of the VA website and see the menu items under the orange Benefits tab will have more information as well as application forms.
A reminder too these scholarships and grants are only open to VA members. To join - and it's free! – pleasecomplete this form.
If you'd like assistance writing a grant or scholarship application, the VA is here to help.
Associate members of the NSW SES VA were again invited to have their say about their organisation's structure, this time about recommendations made at a Board, Regional representative and staff/contractor workshop held in mid-March.
Based on a total of 276 submissions:
- Three quarters of question respondents agreed with the proposed organisational structure that features the introduction of a Volunteer Council made up of Board directors and Area representatives
- There was extremely strong support – 95% – for the Volunteer Council faithfully representing the views and interests of Associate members
- Nine out of 10 question respondents agreed both the President and Company secretary should have volunteer experience, eight out of 10 agreed that the Board could have up to five additional directors, each looking after a particular business function.
- Half of question respondents agreed there should be a limit on the number of times a VA member could be elected to the top levels of management while just over three quarters agreed with each elected rep serving a three year term.
The full results of the survey are now available.
The VA website and Facebook account is currently being reviewed by team lead by Board director Steve Cliffe.
If you have any feedback please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you checked out the VA Facebook page lately? We'd really *like* you to. Contributions - especially photos, shares and comments – are more than welcome.
The VA merchandise team will be at the first day of the State Disaster Rescue Challenge at Jamberoo on May 30 so if you're there, please stop by and say hello.
As well the VA set up a successful stand at the annual Australian Institute of Emergency Services forum at Homebush on May 22. A very special thank you goes to James Henry, Anthony Lockman, Derek Ainscough and Eun-Kyong Ok who gave up their time to assist on the day.
Keep your eyes out too for the end of financial year sale.
If you'd like a VA merchandise team to be part of your next event please get in touch with Irene,email@example.com or call the VA office.
Have your say!
The VA is committed to continuous improvement and actively encouraging members to have their say, so your feedback and suggestions are always welcome.
You can have your say at any time via:
- your Regional representative, see The Volunteer or the orange Structure tab in the members' area of the VA website for details; www.nswsesva.org.au
- phone 13000 SES VA | 1300 073 782 | 02 8002 2306
- email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- fax 02 9267 7038
- post Unit 1/2-6 Lindsay Street Rockdale NSW 2216
- September 2019 (2)
- August 2019 (5)
- July 2019 (1)
- June 2019 (3)
- May 2019 (2)
- April 2019 (1)
- March 2019 (1)
- February 2018 (1)
- August 2016 (9)
- July 2016 (14)
- June 2016 (6)
- May 2016 (12)
- April 2016 (11)
- March 2016 (10)
- February 2016 (3)
- January 2016 (2)
- December 2015 (33)
- November 2015 (22)
- October 2015 (7)
- August 2015 (1)