The NSW SES Volunteers Association
The NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association is a not-for-profit registered charity that was established in 1998 to represent and support the volunteer members of the NSW State Emergency Service.
The NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association became an incorporated association in 2000 and a registered charity in 2005. In recognition of the need for the NSW State Emergency Service volunteers to have a member body and a voice to Government the NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association was included as a consultative body in 2010 into the NSW State Emergency Service Act 1989.
The NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association is an organisation set up for the benefit of the thousands of volunteer members of the NSW State Emergency Service.
These are the men and women wearing orange that you see on the news and in the media. They are all volunteers that freely give their time training and responding to emergencies and advising communities about what they can do to prepare for floods and storms.
They are highly trained professional volunteers with skills in general rescue, storm damage, flood rescue, car accident rescue, alpine rescue, vertical rescue, urban search and rescue. You will see them tarping roofs, rescuing people from floodwaters, sandbagging, removing fallen trees, rescuing people from car accidents, from heights and depths or alpine areas as well as searching for lost loved ones.
The NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association provides representation and support services for these volunteers. It works closely with the NSW State Emergency Service to achieve common goals and represent the interests of its volunteer members, advocating for them when appropriate.
Benefits provided by the NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association include the provision of a NSW SES Volunteers Association Welfare Fund, Unit grants and personal scholarships, plus other support funding schemes. Various fundraising activities are required to fund these support activities including raffles, donations, sponsorships, merchandise sales and adverting commission from the publication of 'The Volunteer', the NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association magazine.
Funds raised through these activities are used to directly support the members of the Association through the welfare fund, the provision of scholarships, grants programs and a biennial conference.
The NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association needs not only to comply with all legislative requirements but also operates in accordance with its Constitutional objectives being:
- Provide a means for the consolidation and representation of the views and concerns of NSW State Emergency Service volunteers via such mechanisms as may be appropriate.
- Provide tangible benefits to NSW State Emergency Service volunteers, plus other beneficiaries as directed by the Board, from time to time.
- Provide Public Education (Letting people know what we do and what they can do – how they can help!).
To enhance the role of the NSW State Emergency Service volunteers in a way that provides for the betterment of the NSW State Emergency Service and the individual.
“Volunteers supporting volunteers to improve our Service”
To provide the necessary resources, including the impetus, opportunity and tangible benefits needed to enhance the role of NSW State Emergency Service volunteers for the betterment of the NSW State Emergency Service that will result in better prepared State Emergency Service volunteers and safer Communities across NSW.
“Supporting volunteers supporting our communities”
Our values describe what we believe, how we act and our commitment to serve our members and the community.
Independent - We determine our own destiny through planning
Team Focused - We work as a team to lead our organisation making decisions based on merit
Advocacy - We are a voice for the volunteers, speaking up for and supporting their interests
Stewardship - We maintain and grow a sustainable organisation that diligently maintains its resources and invests in its people
Professionalism - We act, lead and support our people, inspiring them to achieve successful outcomes
“We are an independent organisation made up of a diverse group of professional people that work together to care for our members and to speak up on their behalf”
Our Strategic Plan “Building a Sustainable Future” is set on a platform of four pillars:
Building recognition and respect through:
- Establish and maintaining a member benefit programs to recognise volunteers for their contribution to the community.
- Leading the establishment of a National Volunteers Association.
Advocacy and Representation
Members are aware that we are here to support them:
- Communicating effectively with stakeholders in ways which suit them.
- Providing assistance and advice to NSW SES volunteers in times of need.
- Reviewing training, with a view to making it user friendly, adequate, up-to date and available.
- Contributing to the improvement of training with consideration of becoming a Registered Training Organisation.
We obtain positive acknowledgement and respect of who we are and what we do:
- Acknowledged, understood and respected by the community.
- Aligning ourselves and partnering with organisations that share our vision and values.
- Build our profile with organisations seeking our input on contemporary volunteer management issues.
Strong Member Base
We maximise and grow our membership base through:
- Transparency of how we operate.
- Encourage comment and continuous improvement.
- Benefits of NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association membership are publicised.
- Actively recruit to maximise membership.
- Research the viability of providing a volunteer recruitment service.
- Adherence to our Code of Conduct and Ethics.
The NSW State Emergency Service volunteers will always be the prime reason for the NSW State Emergency Service Volunteers Association’s existence. These goals have been developed using the fundamental basis of strong values based leadership supported by solid and sustainable financial viability and growth.